Glasshapes world leading architectural glass solutions come in a wide variety of forms and options.
What is Architectural Glass?
Architectural glass is that designed for use as a building material. This can either be as an external component such as a supporting transparent wall or an internal feature such as a room partition or even architectural feature like a staircase.
When used for this purpose glass has to be immensely strong so as to help maintain the structural integrity of the building which it is part of. At Glasshape® we ensure our glass is strengthened in a process called tempering or toughening.
This process requires the glass to be heated in a tempering oven up to 700 degrees Celsius. Once this heat is achieved it undergoes a cooling process known as quenching. During quenching the glass is blasted with high pressure air for a predetermined time depending on the glass thickness. This process creates stress layers throughout the glass, hence giving the toughened / tempered glass extraordinary strength of up to 5-8 times more than standard Float Glass.
Glasshapes tempered glass is:
- Around five-eight times stronger than normal or annealed glass.
- Designed so that if it were to break it will do so in small harmless fragments rather than sharp jagged pieces.
Bent or Flat?
Here at Glasshape® we manufacture a comprehensive portfolio of certified specialty architectural glass in both flat panes, and our signature bends. We have the ability to bend our glass in many different ways, shapes and sizes; providing a limitless array of options for custom bends.
Our glass is bent using two main methods:
- Two dimensionally (2D): where the direction of curvature runs in one direction, effectively creating a cylindrical form.
- Three dimensionally (3D): where a multi-directional bend is created, resulting in a complex curvature, for example a dome.
Our broad range includes:
- Tempered (toughened) glass: This includes glass that has been strengthened using a specific heating and rapid cooling down process. This type of glass can be used for a huge variety of functions.
- Safety and security laminates: This includes cyclonic, ballistic, attack and impact resistant glass.
- Digitally printed ceramic ink: Using our VisionInk® technology we can digitally print ceramic ink on any glass surface. We offer thousands of possible colours and 720dpi resolution for glass.
- Switchable glass: This glass product can literally switch from being fully opaque to completely clear when switched on. It uses a PD-LCD (Polymer- Dispersed Liquid Crystal Display) film and interlayer sandwiched between two panes of Grade A safety glass.
Architectural glass products
We process our glass in-house including production of laminated, thermal resistant, and decorated glass solutions – all backed by a company with more than 30 years international experience.
Many of these products can be combined and supplied on either flat, simple or complex curved panes.
There are a great number of internal applications for architectural glass, such as:
- Spiral Staircase Balustrades
- Decorative Screens
- Glass Floors
- Lift Shafts
- Shower Screens
As with internal application, there are also many ways to incorporate architectural glass in external applications, for example:
- Show Room Windows
- Revolving Doors
- Residential Windows
- Pool Fences & Windows
- Roof Lites
- Barrel Vaults
Architectural Glass Products
With over 30 years’ experience creating spectacular bent glass in both two and three dimensions, Glasshapes wealth of knowledge combined with cutting edge technology sets us apart from other glass manufacturers worldwide.
Get in touch with our team to learn more about architectural glass and how you can use it in your next building project.